Friday, July 2, 2010

We Walk the Line


Ever since I have made Philippines my home, I have been bombarded by rumors that the Filipino…
»Lacks social and economical discipline
»Lacks in moral values and integrity
»Can be bought and is easily corruptible

This to me is an ugly misconception and a huge lie! It is a lie that is propagated by a handful of people. It is a lie that has lived beyond its expected life-span and is fueled continuously by those whose only motive is to ravage these beautiful islands and its people.

Now, I have lived in this country for nearly 30 years. I have also heard someone say that a man is nothing but a product of his own perceptions. Perceptions, as we know, are influenced by the environment. My perceptions in the last 30 years have become Filipino. Would that mean that I lack in moral values and can be easily corrupted? The answer is … try me!

I have also raised three Filipino kids and if my assessments are unbiased of my love as a parent for them, I must state that they have better values and a better sense of integrity than many grown-ups across the world. They are a product of this environment and the values that hum through this nation’s heart also hums through their souls. They are high on discipline, high on moral values and integrity. If someone ever offered to corrupt them then he could get his head chewed off. My children also, sometimes, stop me from transgressions like jaywalking, littering or even falling prey to those that are corrupt. They help me, to constantly walk the line.

There are others that I personally know or know of and whose value systems are intact. Their sense of honor is soaked in sincerity and true Filipino pride. Names like Emil Antonio, my teacher and Professor of Economics at the University of Asia and Pacific; Ms. Emily Abreraof the Living Asia Channel and Mr. Tony Melotoof the GawadKalingafame. These folks do not just walk the line but they walk tall while walking the line.

As I mentioned, the only reason such false beliefs thrive against the Filipino, is because of the few who feed off the results like vultures feed off the dead. The true Filipino rages and roars inside against this monstrosity of falsehood. He can and will very soon rise and slash off this evil dragon’s head.

I need not tell you what to do, because millions of you/us are already doing what needs to be done and the good news is that our efforts are going to spread like wildfire…the Filipino does and will continue to walk the line!

No comments:

Post a Comment